About the Program
Exceptional undergraduate students at Charlotte may apply to the Early Entry Program to begin work toward a graduate degree before completion of the baccalaureate degree.
Early Entry Program Brochure (Downloadable PDF)
- Completion of at least 75 earned undergraduate credit hours applicable to the B.S.M.E. degree
- Minimum 3.2 overall undergraduate GPA
- Acceptable scores on the GRE (Exceptional undergraduate students with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or above may receive an automatic waiver of the GRE requirement)
- Submit application online at https://gradadmissions.
charlotte.edu/applyand provide supporting documents (refer to https://gradadmissions.charlotte.edu/apply/application-requirements)
- Recommendation by the Graduate Program Director and approval by The Graduate School
Continued Enrollment Requirements
- Completion of Early Entry Program Form prior to registering for graduate coursework each semester
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 overall undergraduate GPA
- Undergraduate students are allowed to take only 15 hours of graduate credit before they have completed their baccalaureate degree
How to Complete the Early Entry Program Form (Academic Petition)
- Log into the Academic Petition system with your NinerNet credentials.
- Click the blue button, "Start a New Petition".
- Select the petition level, "Graduate".
- Select the petition type, "Early Entry" and click the blue "Continue" button.
- The next screen displays the petition form. Here you will list the graduate courses you intend to take and specify which you plan to double count toward your undergraduate degree.
- Check that the correct degree program is selected, "Mechanical Engineering-MSME".
- Choose the graduate-level course you plan to enroll in and then note the DegreeWorks section the course should go in, ex. MEGR 7175 --> Mathematics Requirements, then note whether the course will count as "Graduate Only" or "Graduate & Undergraduate".
- Refer to the following Early Entry course reference guide (coming soon).
- Add additional courses, if you plan to take them that semester, repeating steps 7 and 8.
- Additional documentation is not necessary or required.
- Click the blue button, "Submit Petition"